Sunday, August 26, 2012

It Was in a Dream

Right after Thanksgiving, a friend asked my brother Carl, if he would help him move some equipment. He agreed to assist him. While the two men carried a huge, bulky piece down the stairs, his friend’s end slipped from his hands and the heavy machinery fell on Carl. My brother was a strong man, but the machine crashed into his body, crushed a lung and his pelvis, and broke three of his ribs. In and out of a coma, Carl fought for nearly three months. Around eight weeks after the accident, there was visible improvement. The doctors at the hospital moved him from the critical care unit into a regular private room. On Friday, about two weeks after that, a rehabilitation facility received my brother by ambulance. The next day, I met the staff. They were all friendly. It was a great place for Carl’s recovery. That Monday, the calls started coming in from the hospital around 11 p.m. Apparently, my brother’s health took a turn for the worst and the rehab center called the hospital to take him back for treatment. By 3:15 Tuesday morning, he had expired.

The other night, I dreamed about Carl. I had been missing him, badly. You know how dreams are; all of a sudden and for reasons unknown to me, I was at the hospital where the surgeons and doctors ministered to my brother. I walked down the hall and looked inside his hospital room. He was there, lying on the bed. I went into the room and kissed him hello. He smiled back at me. Why, I wondered, had I not visited him until then. We had a pleasant visitation and when I woke, I was refreshed. Here it is, days later and I must say, it was so good to see my brother, even if it was in a dream.

2 comments:

Pat Frierson said...

Such a nice piece. It reminds me of the stories I read in the "Guidepost'. One of my favorite inspiritional books. Your story made me wish for a dream of the last time I saw my brother before he died. Sadly, I can't remember, but what I do have are the memories of how much he loved God. whenever you saw him he always had his bible & that's the memorie I choose to hold on to.
Thank you for sharing that short story on Carl. He is missed!

Molly said...

I am glad you like the post and that it brought to mind stories you see in “The Guidepost.” I enjoy “The Guidepost,” too. Thanks for turning me on to it.

Your brother was so full of life. I am a person who believes that what you think about during the day finds its way into your dreams. Think of your brother often. Remember his infectious smile. You’ll see him when you sleep.

When I miss my mother and begin to think a lot about her, after a while I will dream about her. It always makes me happy whenever I see my mom and dad in my dreams. Just try it for yourself, look forward to seeing your brother. You will. Then you will have new memories. They will be of the dreams you dream of him.